Sunday, April 25, 2010

My doctor is such a douche

My doctor is such a douche. I don't think he knows what he's doing. I don't even think he's a real doctor. He's a "Physician Assistant," whatever that means.

As someone with no insurance and no money, when I'm not being hauled to the hospital in an ambulance, I seek my medical care at the free clinic. Which means, I don't really get to choose a doctor. I'm assigned one.

I was transferred to my current doctor after the doctor I was previously assigned to got fed up with me apparently being "too dramatic". Yes, my visits to the clinic often end up with me bursting into tears. How would you react, if every visit only bears more and more bad news?

You get what you pay for, I guess.

Hence the patient-pinball. It doesn't matter, really. They can dump me on whichever med-student they want. They know there's nothing they can do for me anymore, and if I don't have this surgery, I'm screwed.

But this new doctor - gosh, where do I begin! The guy looks at my labs, and says things like (and I'm not kidding), "this looks normal... wait, there's a reference range on here! Oh, what the heck, I don't know." Then, he tosses the papers aside in annoyance. Wow. Real professional.

I think he enjoys insulting me. He may, or may not, know a thing or two about medicine, but he knows nothing about me or my personal life outside the clinic. However, that doesn't stop him from making up my life story and my personality to his liking. The things he comes up with are simply ridiculous. Of course, he will not listen to me when I try to explain him what's really going on, and how gravely wrong he is. He would rather twist the fact to fit his ridiculous theories than listen to someone who actually knows the truth from first-hand experience.

For example, he knows I had been molested several times in the past. It's not a secret. He asked. I answered. Apparently, my behavior "flagged" me or something. The guy is delusional. If he had just let me explain - I am not a victim. I am shy, yes. Not scared, not traumatized, not stressed. I sit with my hands in my lap and my muscles tightened, because I'm cold. And yes, I have a hard time looking in his eyes. Why wouldn't I? He makes up crazy stories about me. He laughs in my face when I protest and try to explain the truth, and tells me how wrong and delusional I am. He thinks he knows me better than I know myself, he thinks he has me pegged, and he thinks he has the right to insult me when I don't comply with his idiocy.

So no, I don't usually look in his eyes. I'm not scared, and I'm not traumatized. I'm simply repulsed.

And I don't even think he's a real doctor.

-void

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a real gem. Want to get on his nerves? Start researching on your own. There are plenty of books available, even clinical. There are places on the internet. Heck, you could even sign into blogs and confer with medical personnel without having to deal with him. Then have those questions ready for him and see how to stump him. Maybe that will knock him off his pedistal for a bit. *rofl*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, I am pretty sure I am already on his nerves. The problem is, I do try to do as much research as I can, and I do raise all these important medical questions, but he shuts me down. He either doesn't know, or completely ignores me, doesn't let me get a word out before bombarding me with more and more ludicrous theories about me. Too bad I am stuck with him.

    ReplyDelete