Friday, May 14, 2010

A "Happy Mother"

There is this woman I know, who has been coming here every couple of years or so, since the late nineties. Every time she visits, she stays for the better part of a year. She drinks, she parties, she sleeps around.

It is not my place to judge her behavior. However, I have just come across her blog and realized that, she has three children. I never would have guessed. I have never seen her with children before. All I have seen is the careless party-girl that she is, when she's here.

She describes herself as a "happy mother".

Of course she's happy. She gets to come here, and do whatever she wants, with no children, responsibilities, or liabilities in sight, for months on end.

That's not to say, that motherhood is a liability that sucks all happiness out of one's life. I have never been a mother, and I never will be, so I wouldn't pretend to know what it really is.

Although, I doubt a "happy mother", as in, someone who receives happiness from being a mother, with all the responsibilities it brings with it, would leave her children to come here, and party and be irresponsible for eight, nine, ten months.

Where are your children now? Who is raising your children when you are away for months on end, busy partying, getting drunk, having sex with strangers, and being "happy"?

-void

No comments:

Post a Comment