Friday, May 7, 2010

This makes me so sad

I overheard a conversation between three twenty-something year old girls. They were talking about love. One of them said something like, "I left him because he said he was going to love me forever. I don't want to be with someone like that, this is really stupid! You can't love someone forever! Unless forever is, like, five minutes. I'm not looking for 'forever', I'm just looking for something for the moment."

The other two agreed.

It makes me so sad, just hearing this. It pains me even more that this is such a widespread perception of love and relationships in modern society. To me, it's beyond inconceivable. I don't know what love is. I don't know what it feels like to love, or be loved. So I apologize in advance if what I say is completely off base.

But I find it incomprehensible. "For the moment"? Please forgive my inexperienced, uneducated self when I say, there is no such thing as "love" for the moment. Love is not sex, and sex is not love. You can have sex for five minutes. You can't love someone for five minutes. You can't have this deep, meaningful connection with someone for five minutes. I am not saying that it has to be "forever". But you can't love "for the moment". You just can't. There is no such thing.

What is the point? When you really think about it, what is the point of "for the moment"? Of course, not many people actually dare to think about it. I do, and it pains me to no end. What is the point?! Having sex with someone you don't care about, and have no connection with, who will be forgotten just as quickly as they came along, and will bear absolutely no meaning in the long run? What the heck is the point?!?!

There is no point. There is no meaning.

And it pains me, that people who have everything going for them, who have all their lives ahead of them, waste it on pointless, meaningless things like that. It's beyond incomprehensible. I'd give anything for something meaningful. For something worth living for. I'd give anything, to find out what it feels like to love, and be loved. But I know I'm never going to have that chance.

The irony.

-void

No comments:

Post a Comment